Monday, August 29, 2011

Their Final Words


Have you ever thought what would be your last words if you knew you were dying? A person’s last actions and words before leaving their physical body have often intrigued me, as it gives a small window into their final thoughts. Here are some interesting and unusual last words:





P.T. Barnum, circus entrepreneur
“How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?











L. Frank Baum 
“Now I can cross the Shifting Sands.”
The Shifting Sands is a desert surrounding the Land of Oz in his book The Wizard of Oz.










Todd Beamer, passenger on United Flight 93, September 11, 2001
“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” 
Last recorded words from his cell phone as he and other passengers stormed the cockpit to retake the plane from hijackers. The plane crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.









John Belushi – comedian
“Just don’t leave me alone.”












Charlie Chaplin, comedian
“Why not? It belongs to him.” 
In response to a priest  reading him the last rites and saying “may the Lord have mercy on your soul.”











Joan Crawford, actress
“Dammit…Don’t you dare ask God to help me.”
Said to housekeeper who was praying aloud.










Bing Crosby, singer and actor
“That was a great game of golf, fellers.”
Said after playing 18 holes of golf. His doctor previously advised him to only play 9. 20 minutes after ending the game, Crosby died of a heart attack.










Joe DiMaggio, baseball player, former husband of Marilyn Monroe 
“I’ll finally get to see Marilyn.”









Chris Farley, comedian
“Please don’t leave me. Please don’t leave me.” 
Said to a prostitute who spent the weekend with him.






Thomas J. Grasso, convicted murderer
“I did not get my Spaghetti-O’s, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.”
Executed by lethal injection in Oklahoma








Bob Hope, actor 
“Surprise me.”
Response to his wife who asked where he wanted to be buried.









Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter 
“Don’t worry, they usually don’t swim backwards.”
Said as he was swimming with the Stingrays in the Great Barrier Reef. One did swim backward and pierced his chest with its tail. He died of blood loss.











Frida Kahlo, artist
“I hope the exit is joyful and hope never to return.”










Chris McCandless, American wanderer
“I have had a happy life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all!” 
Written on the back of his book Education of a Wandering man. McCandless died of starvation in the Alaskan wilderness. 







Vic Morrow, actor
“I should have asked for a stunt double.”
Spoken on the set of Twilight Zone the movie before filming a dangerous scene with a helicopter. The helicopter lost control, crashed, and decapitated Morrow and killed two child actors.







Elvis Presley, singer
“Okay, I won’t.”
Response to his fiancée Ginger Alden when she told him not to fall asleep in the bathroom.





Eleanor Roosevelt, former first lady 
“Utter Nonsense.”
Response to nurse who told her she would die when the reason God put her on this earth was fulfilled.






Edward H. Ruloff, convicted murderer
“I’d like to be in hell in time for dinner.”











Jimmy Stewart, actor
“I’m going to be with Gloria now.”
Spoken about his late wife.








Timothy Treadwell, bear mauling victim
“Get out of here. I’m getting killed.”
Said to his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard as he was being mauled to death by a bear. Huguenard was also killed.




Kerri L. Schultz

1 comment: